Applications Development Manager
- Louisville, Kentucky
- Level: Varies based on position
Explore your next opportunity at a Fortune Global 500 organization. Envision innovative possibilities, experience our rewarding culture, and work with talented teams that help you become better every day. We know what it takes to lead UPS into tomorrow—people with a unique combination of skill + passion. If you have the qualities and drive to lead yourself or teams, there are roles ready to cultivate your skills and take you to the next level.
This is a hybrid role. UPS will consider candidates to work from the following I.T. Campus locations: NJ, MD, GA & KY.
Our Application Development teams use their expertise in programming languages and software design to develop next-generation technology. They are responsible for developing the applications which track and move up to 38 million packages in a single day (4.7 billion annually). This team works closely with all of our customers to build innovative technologies that are customized to drive our business and provide the ultimate customer experience. As a member of the applications development family, you will help UPS grow and provide valuable services across the globe.
About this role
The Applications Development Manager will be part of the exciting work in the Ground Transportation Systems Area. They will be responsible for Agile Development of web application solutions, backend services, integration with internal/external systems and production support of diverse products for that are critical to UPS.
The Applications Development Manager is responsible for the delivery of quality technical solutions while participating in the development of the broader strategy. This position participates in component and data architecture design, technology planning, vendor selection, testing, and production support for Applications Development (AD) initiatives to meet business requirements and ensure compliance. This position manages the scope, develops and leads a team of UPS and flex staff resources, and collaborates with business units and 3rd party partners in delivering emerging technologies. They are responsible for the work of others, resource allocations, and decision-making affecting the success of assigned projects (i.e., results, deadlines, and budget). This position provides consultation, training, and subject matter expertise for applications’ development, maintenance, and support specific to Ground Transportation Operations.
- Manages project life cycles (i.e., project scope, resources, schedule, budget, initiation, start-up, design, building, and deployment) to see projects from beginning to end.
- Collaborates with domain and enterprise architects to participate in and drive designs internally and externally to comply with defined architecture governance processes.
- Guides System Integration and approves design and build of integration components, interfaces, and documentation to ensure system interoperability.
- Manages Applications' Maintenance and Support
- Leads problem resolution to identify, recommend, and implement process improvements.
- Leads process improvements (i.e., application enhancements, procedure changes, and staff cross-training) to reduce costs for supporting and maintaining applications.
- Communicates status of issues and incidents to keep senior management and stakeholders informed.
- Approves and provides input for support plans to manage maintenance and support efforts.
- Identifies new and emerging hardware and software technologies and products to maintain industry competitiveness.
- Determines relevance and potential value of new technologies to present industry information to staff and management.
- Manages resources and people processes (e.g., Performance Review, Career Development, Training, Staffing, etc.) to ensure the day-to-day administration of processes and formal procedures.
- Experience with Java and/or .Net Development in an Agile Environment
- Familiarity with Cloud Technology (OpenShift, Google Cloud, Azure) and Microservice Architecture
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong project management skills.
- Excellent people skills.
- Budget Planning
- Team Leadership & Motivation
- Bachelor's degree and/or Master's degree in Computer Science or related discipline or equivalent in education and work experience.
This position offers an exceptional opportunity to work for a Fortune 50 industry leader. If you are selected, you will join our dynamic technology team in making a difference to our business and customers. Do you think you have what it takes? Prove it!
UPS is committed to providing a workplace free of discrimination, harassment, and retaliation.
Employer will not sponsor visas for position. UPS is an equal opportunity employer. UPS does not discriminate on the basis of race/color/religion/sex/nationalorigin/veteran/disability/age/sexual orientation/gender identity or any other characteristic protected by law.
Must be a U.S. Citizen or National of the U.S., an alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence, or an alien authorized to work in the U.S. for this employer.
Benefits & Career Advantages
IT Professionals get a full slate of benefits and rewards.
A great career in IT is about more than just what you do at work. It's about your whole life - and where you live it. Explore these locations and find the perfect place to become you.
Parsippany and Mahwah
UPS I.T. Speaks With Bloomberg
Satyan Parameswaran, Vice President, UPS Information Technology (I.T.), Operations Technology (OPT), sat down with Lisa Abramowicz of Bloomberg TV to discuss intelligent automation and its effects on the UPS enterprise.Learn More
UPS I.T. Overview
Join our team of experts in a variety of different specialties. We are more than you think- we are UPS I.T.Learn More
Follow Us on Instagram
Follow us on Facebook@UPSjobs(Opens in new window)
Follow us on Twitter@UPSjobs(Opens in new window)
Follow us on LinkedIn@UPS(Opens in new window)