FT BaSE Intern Bedford Park
- Chicago, Illinois
- Facility: BEDFORD PARK
- Job ID: 281672
- Zip Code: 60638
- Street Address: 6700 W. 73RD STREET
CAPITAL LEAD Snapshot
- Diverse experiences as part of a global team
- Work with the latest technology
- Massive scale of projects
- Unlimited opportunities to grow
The Resources To Innovate
With our commitment to making a significant investment in technology initiatives each year, the scale of technology at UPS allows you to dream big and realize bigger.
Today, ORION can solve an individual route in seconds and is constantly running in the background evaluating routes before drivers can even leave the facility. This level of route evaluation conducted through the ORION program requires extensive hardware and architectural provisions. Running on a bank of servers in Mahwah, New Jersey, ORION is constantly evaluating the best way for a route to run based on real-time information. While most of America is sleeping, ORION is solving tens of thousands of route optimizations per minute.
UPS has launched a beta version of a chatbot, an artificial intelligence-enabled platform that mimics human conversation to help users easily find UPS’ locations, get shipping rates and track packages. Elements of artificial intelligence are becoming a bigger part of various UPS technologies. For example, our new virtual assistant on UPS.com uses natural language understanding to help customers track packages. The assistant becomes skilled at its tasks as more people ask it questions.
Our focus is on real-world applications that benefit our customers. Drones offer a great solution to deliver to hard-to-reach locations in urgent situations where other modes of transportation are not readily available. Innovation through automation and robotics has long been a focus for the world’s largest package delivery company. In fact, UPS has been testing drones in warehouses to check high storage racks to confirm stock or available space. We’re also exploring the use of drones to deliver humanitarian aid in hard-to-reach parts of the world.
UPS Access points
UPS Access Point locations are convenient places—such as The UPS Store®, neighborhood grocery stores, or other local businesses— that offer easy package drop-off and pickup. Our technology links Access Points into our network with information entered through UPS Mobile, My Choice and ORION software used by our drivers.
With over 8,100 UPS Access Point locations in the U.S., UPS now offers approximately 67 percent of consumers an alternative to home delivery within 3 miles of their residence. Our network of interconnected apps gives our customer maximum visibility and control over where and when they receive their packages.
UPS My Choice
UPS My Choice Members and Premium Members, receive delivery alerts for all eligible home deliveries. For those times when customers won't be home to greet their UPS driver, they can reschedule, redirect, or have their packages delivered The UPS Store® or to a UPS Access Point location.
Our technology allows for changes made on deliveries to be quick and convenient. Nearly 24 million U.S. consumers already use My Choice to plan their deliveries.
The UPS Mobile app allows users to track, ship, get a quote, or find a location. It is a one-stop app for any information a customer might need on their delivery. With a simple yet robust interface and My Choice integration, it serves as a convenient way to get the information they need, whenever or wherever they may need it. UPS Mobile is has been developed for both iOS and Android platforms.
EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO SUCCEED
From cloud technology to network planning tools, telematics to encryption, we’re empowering our IT team with the latest tools to serve customers and drive our organization forward.
THERE’S NO STOPPING YOU
No matter where you start at UPS, you’ll be encouraged to learn new skills and follow your interests. Find out more about how you can grow through in-house training, our online learning center, or education assistance for accredited degree programs.Learn More about UPS training
STUDENTS & GRADS
We offer summer internships to students in a wide variety of degree programs. Discover mentoring and learning opportunities that will put your career on the right track. And you can even extend your summer internship into a year-round co-op experience or a full-time role. Find out more about our opportunities for students and recent grads.Learn More about opportunities for Students and Graduates
Learn more about our locations to see where you can make tech breakthroughs.Learn More about UPS locations
GO ABOVE AND BEYOND
See how UPSers are doing more–including innovating in the skies to deliver lifesaving medicines.
Get More From Your Benefits
Medical, dental, vision, and more
Career growth & mobility
The benefits and compensation information provided on this website are for informational purposes only. Not every product or service is available or applicable to every employee and the availability of a product or service is subject to change. UPS reserves the right to alter or delete the information provided as required by UPS’ business needs.
FT BaSE Intern Bedford Park
- Chicago, Illinois
The Plant Engineering (PE) intern will assist in the administration of service contracts for the protection of UPS assets, facilities, equipment and grounds. He/She will assist with maintaining facility environmental compliance, conveyor, housekeeping and facility safety. The PE intern will provide project support by developing AutoCAD drawings and maintaining AutoCAD as built drawings for completed project work. The PE intern will also support the Facility Engineers by assembling bid packets for projects, coordinate vendor work and communicate with the Operations on the status of the project.
- Adheres to purchasing limits, expense approval procedures, and equipment disposal guidelines to remain within cost plan
- Attends center planning meetings with UPS management and outside vendors to review major project tasks to be completed, address concerns, and train vendors on UPS procedures
- Orders needed equipment for operations (e.g., motors, diverters, etc.) by meeting with operations & IE regularly and staying abreast of any new projects requiring special equipment to maintain productivity of the facility
- Ensures that facility appearance is maintained at an acceptable level for the most reasonable cost through the use of PE Porters and/or outside service housekeeping vendors
- Identifies and schedules necessary repairs and preventative maintenance to maintain the condition of the facility
- Maintains inventory records for equipment parts and housekeeping supplies to analyze expenditure trends and minimize department costs
- Ensures affected functions or groups are identified and works with them to negotiate process changes, ownership of processes, and to manage project impact
- Develops project plans (i.e., detailed plan, milestones, and work breakdown structures) and assigns tasks to resources to ensure that the project will be completed on time and according to specifications
- Communicates regularly with outside contractors to resolve any problems
- Maintains vendor contract compliance and oversees vendor payment to ensure the work is done to specifications and vendors are paid upon completion
- Performs on-site inspections to ensure vendor compliance with contract terms and conditions (e.g., quality of work completed, cost, adherence to safety requirements, etc.)
Take initiative throughout job responsibilities
Identify problems/issues and follow-up with the proper resolution, asking for help when needed
Ability to work with minimum supervision
Excellent organizational skills and detail oriented
Encourages others to work cooperatively within a team or group
Must be able to meet deadlines
Excellent oral and written communication skills
Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, Project & AutoCAD
Is honest in interaction with others
Evaluates the business and financial impact of options before making a decision
Applies knowledge of business practices to improve supervisory effectiveness
Experience with process automation -Preferred
Experience supervising others -Preferred
Project Engineering Experience -Preferred
UPS is an equal opportunity employer. UPS does not discriminate on the basis of race/color/religion/sex/national origin/veteran/disability/age/sexual orientation/gender identity or any other characteristic protected by law