SOX Compliance and Reporting Audit Manager
The SOX Compliance & Reporting Manager is responsible for planning, developing Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) compliance processes, including information technology controls and financial controls and aggregation/reporting of results. He/She identifies and develops methodologies for the enterprise materiality framework, develops SOX scoring and reporting and creates the plan to ensure maximum external auditor reliance. The SOX Compliance & Reporting Manager ensures compliance with internal policies, procedures, and controls in accordance with audit standards and Sarbanes-Oxley requirements. This position supervises Senior Staff Auditors, Staff Auditors and Audit Specialists.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Oversees SOX Compliance
- Manages global coordination of SOX 302 and 404 assurance programs including entity-level risk assessments, control identification/optimization and aggregation analyses to provide assessment of operating effectiveness of internal controls over financial reporting.
- Primary liaison with external auditor for alignment of scoping, test plans and finding communications.
- Reviews procedures to ensure compliance with professional, regulatory, and internal UPS standards (e.g., SOX, Institute of Internal Auditors).
- Identifies and communicates new accounting guidelines and updates to ensure implementation into the audit process.
- Provides management status dashboards on project progress.
- Maintains auditing web tool to ensure scoping, test plans and audit findings are documented.
- Lead department’s SOX learning development program for both new staff and experienced personnel.
- Leads department’s SOX Optimization Committee which is responsible for identification and implementation of initiatives to rationalize assurance program and maximum reliance of audit work by external auditor.
Reviews Audits Results and Produces Reports
- Reviews audit findings to ensure identified ineffective controls and deficiencies are properly identified.
- Gathers information from various groups (e.g., Internal Audit and Compliance, Finance and Accounting, External Auditors, etc.) to prepare organization aggregation of enterprise SOX deficiencies.
- Assists with the development of presentations to internal stakeholders including detailed audit results to include in the quarterly Audit Committee Report Committee presentations.
Manages and Develops Others
- Manages resources and people processes (e.g., Performance Management, Career Development, Training, Staffing, etc.) to ensure the day to day administration of processes and formal procedures.
- Identifies individual and team skill gaps and developmental opportunities (e.g., training, special assignments, conferences, projects, etc.) to facilitate individual and team development.
- Ensures that direct and indirect reports have documented career goals and detailed plans for achieving these goals to develop them personally and professionally.
- Conducts frequent performance evaluations in a consistent, fair, and objective manner to facilitate open communication and encourage continuous performance improvement.
- Holds others accountable to established performance levels to achieve individual and group goals.
- Resolves individual and group performance issues in accordance with UPS’s policies and procedures in a timely manner to motivate and foster teamwork.
- Identifies opportunities to involve others in new and challenging work assignments and/or rotations that advance the skills and capabilities of individuals and the organization.
Knowledge and Skills
- Accounting Knowledge: Possesses a solid knowledge of accounting theory and principles
- Legal, Regulatory, and Compliance Knowledge: Demonstrates a basic understanding of the functions, regulations, and procedures of compliance agencies or governing bodies
- Project Planning: Demonstrates an understanding of basic project planning processes, including planning action items and resources
- Bachelor’s Degree (or internationally comparable degree) in Accounting – Preferred
- Masters’ Degree in Accounting - Preferred
- Two to four years of public accounting experience preferably in of the Big Four accounting firms - Preferred
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) Certification - Preferred
- Certified Internal Auditor (CIA) Certification - Preferred
- Experience utilizing technology-based applications to perform analytical reviews - Preferred
- Experience supervising others - Required
- Advanced experience with MS Excel, and experience with data analytics/visualization tools (e.g., SQL, Power BI Access, Tableau) - Preferred
UPS is an equal opportunity employer. UPS does not discriminate on the basis of race/color/religion/sex/national origin/veteran/disability/age/sexual orientation/gender identity or any other characteristic protected by law