PR Exec Communications Mgr
The Public Relations Executive Communications Manager creates executive communication strategies for senior leadership (e.g., the Chief Executive Officer and the Management Committee, etc.) to support key business priorities and advance UPS's thought leadership. He/She develops strategic messages including speeches and bylines and determines the appropriate venues for speaker placement and conference appearances. He/She consults with Public Relations to ensure alignment of executive communication with overall communication initiatives.
This position manages work of freelance writers and graphic designers to achieve Communications' goals. He/She researches and selects vendors and negotiates fees to ensure clear communication of the current strategic messaging direction and minimize costs. He/She with outside vendors for professional communications' services and manages deadlines to provide cost-effective and timely service delivery.
- Meets with senior executives to design strategic messages based on key business priorities (e.g., global trade, synchronization of commerce, employer of choice, etc.).
- Monitors media coverage results to determine effectiveness of strategy and adjusts plans as necessary.
- Monitors messages to ensure consistency and alignment with UPS strategy and to maximize effectiveness in reaching their intended audiences.
- Coordinates approvals with Legal, PR, and subject matter experts to ensure accuracy.
- Organizes conferences to provide business and industry exposure for UPS topics of interest.
- Coordinates communications across multiple channels to ensure widespread visibility.
- Identifies and incorporates key business insights to reinforce executive thought leadership in the industry.
- Publishes summaries of key speeches to extend the reach of strategic messaging to third parties (e.g., academics, chambers of commerce, think tanks, etc.).
- Provides crisis communications to manage and mitigate public relations risk.
- Works with global partners to ensure culturally relevant communications.
- Demonstrates understanding of drivers of brand equity; identifies opportunities to increase brand equity and avoids detracting actions; writes effective communication briefs that identify the most salient customer benefits whether targeting new or existing segments for new or existing products and solutions; demonstrates understanding of media mix selection processes; able to assess the efficacy of alternative media and creative strategies; develops collaborative relationship with internal communications partners and the agencies they engage, aiding their understanding of business strategies; objectively evaluates creative work against the strategy and creative brief; able to provide useful feedback to creative teams.
- Demonstrates familiarity with the core service offerings across business units and deep familiarity with product, service, and customer facing technology offerings of at least one business unit; demonstrates knowledge of competitors' offerings and the features of their products, services, and customer facing technology solutions; describes types of customers that would benefit from selected offerings; compares and contrasts UPS's and competitor's products, services, and customer facing technology solutions; able to compare and contrast the customer's experience of engaging with UPS and primary competitors across all touch-points; summarizes positive and negative gaps; develops plans to leverage advantages and correct disadvantages.
- Considers industry and financial trends when making account decisions; understands critical aspects of business models and operating structures to provide input into decisions.
- Identifies root causes of problems with communication programs; designs communication programs based on organizational needs; adapts media channel and communication style to various situations or groups; recommends adjustments to communication strategies.
- Identifies cultural issues that may impact business needs or customer solutions; applies cultural sensitivity when interacting with others outside one’s own geography; leverages cultural awareness to address challenges when operating across different geographical areas; stays current on global and cultural trends.
- Demonstrates a broad understanding of UPS and vendor business needs and goals; reviews and recommends appropriate vendors based on business needs to internal stakeholders; provides input into the creation of vendor contracts or agreements; communicates expectations to vendors.
- Bachelor's degree in Journalism or Communications ~ Preferred
UPS is an equal opportunity employer – race/color/religion/sex/national origin/veteran/disability/sexual orientation/gender identity
Military & Veterans Outreach
You’ve served your country honorably. Now take on your next challenge at UPS.Go