Industrial Engineering Supervisor, Global Freight ForwardingPrimary Location: Tsuen Wan, New Territories - HK Job ID 054476
The Engineering Supervisor works with engineering departments to develop, implement, and deploy approved operational processes and best practices consistently throughout the company. He/She will train I.E. resources in the approved processes and standards for work measurement application and will maintain the SCS database which houses such information. This position will assist the I.E. departments in special reengineering or new projects, as necessary. The Engineering Supervisor will take a lead role in planning and execution of large project implementations or training initiatives. He/She may also manage other subject matter experts to ensure timelines and project deliverables are met and developing Web Application training material for use by Operation Trainers. This position may also be responsible for coordinating Operation Trainers efforts in field training. This position may supervise others.
Develops Work Measurement to Optimize Operating Plans
- Develops and maintains work measurement for all operations to support all necessary operating plans and reflect current normal conditions.
- Works with Operations to develop a shift plan (i.e., schedule that defines the shifts, area of coverage, specific work, and movements needed within a specified parameter), which supports both operation and customer requirements.
- Uses work measurement to improve processes and job set-ups which reduce the hours required to perform the operation.
- Reviews impact of standards changes or updates with Operations and Division Managers to jointly develop implementation plans.
Develops Freight Forwarding Operating Plans
- Based on work measurement, work with Operations Managers to develop all components of the Master Operating Plan (MOP), Daily Presort Plan, and Seasonal Plans to improve operational efficiency.
- Analyzes current operating plan to determine opportunities for improving the operations process and workflow (e.g. analyze process flow charts and production schedules, etc.).
- Reviews recommendations (e.g., improved job set ups, operating plans, etc.) with senior IE and Operations managers for approval.
- Develops contingency plans for unexpected situations.
- Updates operating plans to stay current with new services or changing conditions.
- Conducts follow-up with staff managers to discuss plan effectiveness and influence decision making.
Provides Support to Improve freight Operations
- Works with division managers to set operations strategies for improving cost and service levels.
- Utilizes work measurement, gap analysis, statistical analysis, discussions with management, and operations visits to identify issues and problems impacting the achievement of performance and service goals.
- Develops solutions to operational issues and provides recommendations to improve operations.
- Participates in Business Review and Planning meetings, and works with the operations management team to implement solutions and conduct follow-up.
- Works with operations management team to implement changes in the operations to reach desired cost reduction and service improvements.
- Audits and analyzes existing schedules with Feeder Scheduler to identify areas for potential schedule improvements and operational efficiencies.
- Consults with and guides division managers on desired action steps to improve operating results in all areas of the operation.
Conducts Training for Operations Management
- Identifies issues requiring training or re-training (e.g., Operating Plan execution, process adherence, proper methods, work measurement, use of technology, etc.) to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of operations.
- Delivers training to management and staff via classroom (virtual), conference calls, electronic material, or one-to-one to promote learning transfer, ensure training compliance, and improve employees’ operational performance.
- Provides training to management for implementation of new procedures, processes, services, and technology to maintain operational effectiveness.
- Coordinates with process writers to create training documents.
Conducts Operations Forecasting
- Reviews research and weekly trends (e.g., historical volume, marketing forecasts, recent economic data, etc.) and growth rates calculations to approve volume projections that impact operations and to forecast future asset needs.
- Develops annual staffing projections by week and by day of week for all feeder operations to provide a cost-effective operating plan.
- Provides short-range operations staffing forecasts to assist operations managers and Human Resources in developing hiring plans.
- Develops quarterly and yearly plans to forecast staffing, assets, and facility needs to ensure UPS’s ability to meet service commitments.
- Reviews weekly forecast updates as required to maintain validity of forecast projections (i.e., ensure measures are still relevant and conform to accepted IE principles) and adherence to Business Plan goals
- Assesses the impact of forecasts (long and short range) on operating plans to determine when operating plan updates are required.
- Assumes project management responsibilities and conducts financial analysis when required.
Supervises and Develops Others
- Determines employees’ training needs to produce continuous development plans.
- Provides on-going feedback and support to improve performance.
- Conducts performance evaluations in a consistent, fair, and objective manner to encourage continuous performance improvement.
- Holds others accountable to established performance levels to achieve individual and group goals.
- Resolves individual and group performance issues in accordance with UPS’s policies and procedures in a timely manner to motivate and foster teamwork.
Degree holder in Business or Engineering preferred
An agile, proactive problem solver who can work independently
Excellent communication and organizational skills
Prior project management experience is necessary
Knowledge on freight forwarding/logistics operations
Able to communicate with people from different levels of the organization
Good command of spoken and written English, Mandarin is a definite advantage
Related JobsView All of Our Available Opportunities
Jobs on the map
See where Future You will go.Learn More
Get Job Alerts
Take another step toward Future You.