UPSC Senior Applications Developer
- Full Time
- Torrance, California
- Travel: No
- Facility: Parcel Pro - Torrance
- Job ID: 182895
- Zip Code: 90501
- Diverse experiences as part of a global team
- Work with the latest technology
- Massive scale of projects
- Unlimited opportunities to grow
Future you has the resources to innovate
With our commitment to making a significant investment in technology initiatives each year, the scale of technology at UPS allows Future You to dream big and realize bigger.
Today, ORION can solve an individual route in seconds and is constantly running in the background evaluating routes before drivers can even leave the facility. This level of route evaluation conducted through the ORION program requires extensive hardware and architectural provisions. Running on a bank of servers in Mahwah, New Jersey, ORION is constantly evaluating the best way for a route to run based on real-time information. While most of America is sleeping, ORION is solving tens of thousands of route optimizations per minute.
UPS has launched a beta version of a chatbot, an artificial intelligence-enabled platform that mimics human conversation to help users easily find UPS’ locations, get shipping rates and track packages. Elements of artificial intelligence are becoming a bigger part of various UPS technologies. For example, our new virtual assistant on UPS.com uses natural language understanding to help customers track packages. The assistant becomes skilled at its tasks as more people ask it questions.
Our focus is on real-world applications that benefit our customers. Drones offer a great solution to deliver to hard-to-reach locations in urgent situations where other modes of transportation are not readily available. Innovation through automation and robotics has long been a focus for the world’s largest package delivery company. In fact, UPS has been testing drones in warehouses to check high storage racks to confirm stock or available space. We’re also exploring the use of drones to deliver humanitarian aid in hard-to-reach parts of the world.
UPS Access points
UPS Access Point locations are convenient places—such as The UPS Store®, neighborhood grocery stores, or other local businesses— that offer easy package drop-off and pickup. Our technology links Access Points into our network with information entered through UPS Mobile, My Choice and ORION software used by our drivers.
With over 8,100 UPS Access Point locations in the U.S., UPS now offers approximately 67 percent of consumers an alternative to home delivery within 3 miles of their residence. Our network of interconnected apps gives our customer maximum visibility and control over where and when they receive their packages.
UPS My Choice
UPS My Choice Members and Premium Members, receive delivery alerts for all eligible home deliveries. For those times when customers won't be home to greet their UPS driver, they can reschedule, redirect, or have their packages delivered The UPS Store® or to a UPS Access Point location.
Our technology allows for changes made on deliveries to be quick and convenient. Nearly 24 million U.S. consumers already use My Choice to plan their deliveries.
The UPS Mobile app allows users to track, ship, get a quote, or find a location. It is a one-stop app for any information a customer might need on their delivery. With a simple yet robust interface and My Choice integration, it serves as a convenient way to get the information they need, whenever or wherever they may need it. UPS Mobile is has been developed for both iOS and Android platforms.
FUTURE YOU HAS EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO SUCCEED
From cloud technology to network planning tools, telematics to encryption, we’re empowering our IT team with the latest tools to serve customers and drive our organization forward.
THERE’S NO STOPPING FUTURE YOU
No matter where you start at UPS, you’ll be encouraged to learn new skills and follow your interests. Find out more about how Future You can grow through in-house training, our online learning center, or education assistance for accredited degree programs.Learn More about UPS training
STUDENTS & GRADS
We offer summer internships to students in a wide variety of degree programs. Discover mentoring and learning opportunities that will put your career on the right track. And Future You can even extend your summer internship into a year-round co-op experience or a full-time role. Find out more about our opportunities for students and recent grads.Learn More about opportunities for Students and Graduates
Learn more about our locations to see where Future You can make tech breakthroughs.Learn More about UPS locations
Future You gets more
Medical, dental, vision, and more
Career growth & mobility
The benefits and compensation information provided on this website are for informational purposes only. Not every product or service is available or applicable to every employee and the availability of a product or service is subject to change. UPS reserves the right to alter or delete the information provided as required by UPS’ business needs.
UPSC Senior Applications Developer
- Full Time
- Torrance, California
The Applications Developer performs duties and tasks to create working, testable code that meets requirements. He/She performs tasks within planned durations and established deadlines. This position collaborates with teams to ensure effective communication and to support the achievement of objectives. He/She will be an active team member of an applications development team and coding in technologies such as Angular 2, .NET C#, CSS/SCSS, JSON, JQuery, and web services experience.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Participates in defining and developing technical specifications to meet systems requirements
- Assesses detailed designs and documentation to ensure alignment with business requirements
- Defines interfaces among systems components to ensure interoperability
- Evaluates vendor technologies to recommend potential products for use
- Leads peer reviews to ensure requirement are met
- Analyzes, designs, codes, tests, corrects and documents moderate to highly complex programs to ensure optimal performance and compliance
- Reviews and understands specifications to achieve coding tasks
- Reviews, analyzes and refines requirements and specifications to ensure quality
- Records and updates defect log to ensure thorough and accurate documentation
- Creates testable and reusable code using Typescript and C#
- Follows business requirements and industry/team best practices
- Works with QA to resolve bugs that may arise
- Develops and maintains system documentation to ensure accuracy and consistency
- Creates unit test plans and reviews documented results to ensure requirements are met
- Creates technical documentation in compliance with UPS Software Development Life cycle to communicate and update project teams and stakeholders
- Defines and produces integration builds to create applications
- Performs build processes to produce software and to prepare application for delivery
- Produces integration test specifications to conduct test, record failures and conduct fault diagnoses
- Monitors the industry to gain knowledge and understanding of emerging technologies
- Identifies new and emerging hardware and software technologies and products to maintain industry competitiveness
- Assists in determining relevance and potential value of new technologies to support business objectives and strategy
- Updates items in Sprint Kanban board daily
Knowledge and Skills
- Guides the development of applications to ensure goals and objectives of projects are met utilizing the SDLC; participates in the architecture definition process; translates requirements of designs for large and highly complex applications; identifies and designs non-functional requirements; designs and develops system interfaces; applies multiple testing techniques to minimize defects and deliver quality code for large and highly complex applications software
- Participates in evaluation of emerging industry technologies and understands technologies impact on current IT architectures and infrastructures
- Demonstrates knowledge of various types of system tools and utilities available on the market; demonstrates understanding of the role of system tools, utilities, and related processes in optimizing systems and applications development, accessibility, administration and management
- Develops and executes project management plans for basic projects of short duration requiring limited coordination and resources; supports initiatives with well-defined project needs and cross-functional roles/responsibilities throughout the project life cycle; manages minimal organizational resistance to cross-functional project demands; employs project management tools and technology (e.g., Microsoft Project, Program Management Group website, etc.) appropriately
- Experience with Angular 2 and .Net C# development
- Experience with CSS/SCSS, HTML5, Web Development Architecture & Design, Object Oriented Analysis & Design
- Knowledge in SQL Relational Databases
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to work well within a team
- Highly motivated and stays current with technology, adheres to standards and focuses on strategic direction for the organization
- Experience in responsive designs - Preferred
- Bachelor’s Degree (or internationally degree) in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Information Systems, or related discipline - Preferred
UPS is an equal opportunity employer. UPS does not discriminate on the basis of race/color/religion/sex/national origin/veteran/disability/age/sexual orientation/gender identity or any other characteristic protected by law
Related JobsView All of Our Available Opportunities
Jobs on the map
See where Future You will go.Learn More
Get Job Alerts
Take another step toward Future You.