China Communication ManagerPrimary Location: 5F, 3rd Building, No.58, Yaoyuan Road, Pudong District , Shanghai, Shanghai - CN, 200126 Job ID 068496
China Communication Manager – COE
Position based in: Shanghai
(These positions will be a combination of employee engagement, external communications, and digital communications. Decisions in terms of the percentage combinations will be based on needs and specific skill sets by geography.)
The China Communications Manager helps coordinate country, region and corporate initiatives and projects and oversees the development of effective messaging for UPS’s internal and/or external audiences in China. He/She is responsible for collaborating with stakeholders to enhance and/or protect UPS’s public image. This position will also manage digital/social media. This position supports key business priorities through the development of proactive and reactive communications strategies. He/She leads staff members to initiate both news and social media campaigns, monitoring media coverage and social media. This position will manage Communications Supervisors and/or Communications Specialists and is responsible for their training, development and effectiveness.
Develops and Supports Strategic Communications Plans
- Creates and oversees the development of short and long term news media and/or social media and/or employee engagement focused global communications strategies incorporating international business, cultural, and digital communication practices to advance and enhance UPS’s reputation in China.
- Provides communications counsel to senior management as well as Public Affairs, Investor Relations, Customer Communications, Human Resources and other pertinent department staff to maintain coordination of global messaging.
- Strong writing/editing skills / communications skills in English and Mandarin.
Manages Communication Operations
- Builds relationships with key stakeholders and/or media to ensure proper decisions are made when determining communication strategies for effective communication.
- Evaluates results to identify areas for improvement for further support of business priorities.
- Oversees the effective distribution of communications materials to ensure information is provided in a timely manner to the targeted audience.
- Remains current on emerging technology and trends and makes recommendations to improve communications. Conducts field audits to review communications processes.
- Writes and edits communications deliverables to inform employees and/or other stakeholders of corporate initiatives.
Promotes and Enhances UPS's Public Image / Employee Engagement
- Effectively manages the appointed public relations consultant on a daily basis, with a strategic view to ensure UPS is making efficient use of the consultant’s services;
- Plan, develop and execute internal and external communications initiatives to support UPS's brand relevance and awareness in APAC; and drive engagement with employees
- Collaborates to support corporate and regional messages and leverage positive media opportunities for ensuring UPS's name is recognized in a positive manner for business growth.
- Proactively identify internal or external issues that may impact UPS's reputation negatively, and work swiftly with relevant stakeholders to develop a communications strategy (including media response) to protect and safeguard UPS's reputation so as to limit or remove potential reputational damage.
- Builds relationships with media contacts / stakeholders as directed (i.e., provides or requests information for news stories, etc.) to foster and ensure accurate and positive coverage of UPS news and initiatives.
- Serves as an advisor for UPS's brand issues to ensure UPS's brand is consistently presented.
- Advises regional management on public relations and social media opportunities to enhance UPS's image.
- Advises regional management on employee messaging opportunities to enhance employee engagement.
- Coordinates deliverables distribution with the network (i.e., regions, districts, countries, and other business units) responsible for communicating with the field offices to ensure messages are delivered to the appropriate audiences.
- Manages and tracks allocated public relations budget efficiently
Manages and Develops Others
- Manages resources and people processes e.g., Performance Management, Career Development, Succession Planning, Salary Administration, Training, Staffing, etc.) to ensure the day to day administration of processes and formal procedures.
- Identifies individual and team skill gaps and developmental opportunities (e.g., training, special assignments, projects, etc.) to facilitate individual and team development.
- Ensures that direct and indirect reports have documented, strategically aligned career goals and detailed plans for achieving goals to advance the development of their personal and professional growth.
- Conducts frequent performance evaluations in a consistent, fair, and objective manner to facilitate open communication and encourage continuous performance improvement.
- Holds others accountable to established performance levels to achieve individual and group goals and maintain consistent practices across the organization.
Bachelors Degree – Journalism; Communications; English or Public Relations Preferred
Bachelors Degree - Required
- Minimum 5-6 years of experience in a communications role in either an in-house or consultancy setting (experience in a Public Relations role is preferred)
- In addition, 2-3 years of management experience in leading a successful team to plan and drive communications strategies to support business plans is preferred