Sr. Business Systems Analyst
- Full Time
- San Diego, California
- Travel: No
- Facility: The UPS Store, Inc.
- Job ID: 184957
- Zip Code: 92121
- Diverse experiences as part of a global team
- Work with the latest technology
- Massive scale of projects
- Unlimited opportunities to grow
Future you has the resources to innovate
With our commitment to making a significant investment in technology initiatives each year, the scale of technology at UPS allows Future You to dream big and realize bigger.
Today, ORION can solve an individual route in seconds and is constantly running in the background evaluating routes before drivers can even leave the facility. This level of route evaluation conducted through the ORION program requires extensive hardware and architectural provisions. Running on a bank of servers in Mahwah, New Jersey, ORION is constantly evaluating the best way for a route to run based on real-time information. While most of America is sleeping, ORION is solving tens of thousands of route optimizations per minute.
UPS has launched a beta version of a chatbot, an artificial intelligence-enabled platform that mimics human conversation to help users easily find UPS’ locations, get shipping rates and track packages. Elements of artificial intelligence are becoming a bigger part of various UPS technologies. For example, our new virtual assistant on UPS.com uses natural language understanding to help customers track packages. The assistant becomes skilled at its tasks as more people ask it questions.
Our focus is on real-world applications that benefit our customers. Drones offer a great solution to deliver to hard-to-reach locations in urgent situations where other modes of transportation are not readily available. Innovation through automation and robotics has long been a focus for the world’s largest package delivery company. In fact, UPS has been testing drones in warehouses to check high storage racks to confirm stock or available space. We’re also exploring the use of drones to deliver humanitarian aid in hard-to-reach parts of the world.
UPS Access points
UPS Access Point locations are convenient places—such as The UPS Store®, neighborhood grocery stores, or other local businesses— that offer easy package drop-off and pickup. Our technology links Access Points into our network with information entered through UPS Mobile, My Choice and ORION software used by our drivers.
With over 8,100 UPS Access Point locations in the U.S., UPS now offers approximately 67 percent of consumers an alternative to home delivery within 3 miles of their residence. Our network of interconnected apps gives our customer maximum visibility and control over where and when they receive their packages.
UPS My Choice
UPS My Choice Members and Premium Members, receive delivery alerts for all eligible home deliveries. For those times when customers won't be home to greet their UPS driver, they can reschedule, redirect, or have their packages delivered The UPS Store® or to a UPS Access Point location.
Our technology allows for changes made on deliveries to be quick and convenient. Nearly 24 million U.S. consumers already use My Choice to plan their deliveries.
The UPS Mobile app allows users to track, ship, get a quote, or find a location. It is a one-stop app for any information a customer might need on their delivery. With a simple yet robust interface and My Choice integration, it serves as a convenient way to get the information they need, whenever or wherever they may need it. UPS Mobile is has been developed for both iOS and Android platforms.
FUTURE YOU HAS EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO SUCCEED
From cloud technology to network planning tools, telematics to encryption, we’re empowering our IT team with the latest tools to serve customers and drive our organization forward.
THERE’S NO STOPPING FUTURE YOU
No matter where you start at UPS, you’ll be encouraged to learn new skills and follow your interests. Find out more about how Future You can grow through in-house training, our online learning center, or education assistance for accredited degree programs.Learn More about UPS training
STUDENTS & GRADS
We offer summer internships to students in a wide variety of degree programs. Discover mentoring and learning opportunities that will put your career on the right track. And Future You can even extend your summer internship into a year-round co-op experience or a full-time role. Find out more about our opportunities for students and recent grads.Learn More about opportunities for Students and Graduates
Learn more about our locations to see where Future You can make tech breakthroughs.Learn More about UPS locations
Future You gets more
Medical, dental, vision, and more
Career growth & mobility
The benefits and compensation information provided on this website are for informational purposes only. Not every product or service is available or applicable to every employee and the availability of a product or service is subject to change. UPS reserves the right to alter or delete the information provided as required by UPS’ business needs.
Sr. Business Systems Analyst
- Full Time
- San Diego, California
The UPS Store, Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of UPS is the world's largest franchisor of retail shipping, postal, printing and business service centers. The UPS Store® has over 4,800 independently owned locations in the U.S., Puerto Rico and Canada. We offer competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package that includes health, dental, 401(k) with company match, retirement plan, tuition reimbursement, discounted stock purchase plans and more.
The Senior Business Systems Analyst performs functions on highly complex projects and provides guidance to project team members on cross-functional projects. He/She serves as a liaison between the business community and Information Services (I.S.). This position elicits and analyzes business needs for highly complex projects and validates that solutions fit within the long-term strategic vision. The Senior Business Systems Analyst determines the impact and integration of solutions to business processes and systems. He/She ensures Business Systems Analysis (BSA) work products conform to quality and content standards. This position stays current on industry best practices, standards, trends, tools, and techniques. He/She collaborates with organizational stakeholders and senior management to establish and implement processes that enhance efficiency, and improve work products for the enterprise.
The Senior Business Systems Analyst writes features, user stories, use cases and other artifacts to articulate the needs of the business. He/She leads the collaborative effort with internal and external users to ensure the solution support best practices in user experience design and customer experience (e.g., usability testing, mock-ups, user journey maps, development of user personas, etc.). This position advises the design process across different platforms (i.e., desktop and mobile). He/She works with the development team to develop, test, and implement solutions to business and system requirements. This position manages the team’s agile process to identify business value, status, priority, effort level, tasks, and road blocks.
- Develops and contributes to enterprise process standards to ensure consistency, efficiency, and effectiveness.
- Recommends and implements process improvements within assigned areas of involvement to continuously improve quality.
- Facilitates collaboration (e.g., stakeholders, team members, customers, etc.) to address issues, support decision-making, and ensure common understanding.
- Conveys business systems analysis information (e.g., presentations, documentation, etc.) to stakeholders and senior management to ensure consistent understanding of problems, opportunities, and solutions.
- Participates in peer reviews of architecture, design, and quality assurance work products to identify conflicts and ensure consistent implementation of business and functional requirements.
- Communicates project status and information with others (e.g., other business analysts, management, development teams, business users, etc.) to provide updates (e.g., estimated project end date, defects, functionality, etc.).
- Conducts root-cause analysis of defects, identifies key and recurring problems, and provides solutions to prevent recurrence.
- Applies Information Analysis & Solution Generation Knowledge: Identifies key information sources, assesses information quality, and understands and communicates limitations; relates and compares information from different sources; manages large amounts of data and appropriately applies data reduction and exploratory analysis techniques; makes logical assumptions; challenges own findings and documents process and outcomes; audits own analyses and determines their validity.
- Applies Information Systems Knowledge: Demonstrates an understanding of the strategy, structures, processes and procedures of the enterprise in its relationship with the business and its activities; identifies business representatives affected by information systems with some assistance.
- Applies Internal Systems Knowledge: Applies working knowledge of products, services, and system functionality and mechanics for internal systems; utilizes internal system knowledge and problem solving techniques to define problems, business needs or process improvements for internal systems; understands and clearly articulates internal business processes (e.g. system requirements, training) for systems; leverages knowledge of internal systems to develop business cases for future system/process enhancements; develops measures for determining effectiveness of solution (e.g. production support, system testing).
- Applies Problem Definition & Structuring Knowledge: Identifies key factors behind basic problems and establish a path to solve them; proposes approaches to solve more complicated problems; investigates and diagnoses anomalies in routine business results.
- Applies Service, Product, and Customer Technology Knowledge: Demonstrates a basic understanding of products, services, and customer facing technology solutions offered by UPS along with their features and business applications; describes general customer profiles targeted by the company.
- Assesses Business Needs: Identifies current and future needs of the customer or business; understands how business needs dictate the project’s requirements, project direction, business objectives, and resource allocation; makes recommendations on the solutions-design phase of the project.
- Business, Financial, and Industry Knowledge: Demonstrates a general understanding of industry and financial trends impacting UPS and/or customers’ organizations; identifies the organizational structure and functions within a business.
- Designs/Develops Integrated Solutions to Business Problems: Demonstrates a broad understanding of business requirements or critical elements of a problem; identifies the impact of a problem on multiple areas of the business; recommends improvements to existing processes or programs.
- Detail Orientation: Distinguishes between “big picture” concepts and comments and specialized, smaller specific facts associated with work; notes the specifics of events and experiences; explains, in general, how details impact end goals or outcomes; ensures that work is completed accurately and with the appropriate level of detail.
- IT - Business Process Improvement: Analyzes business processes; identifies alternative solutions, assesses feasibility, and recommends new approaches, typically seeking to exploit technology components. Evaluates the financial, cultural, technological, organizational and environmental factors which must be addressed in the change program.
- IT - Defines/Documents Business Requirements: Demonstrates some advanced knowledge of requirements writing, the organization’s terminology, and Information Services areas of work; analyzes, validates, and documents requirements statements of moderate to high complexity using appropriate standards; defines relationships among requirements; breaks down moderate to high complex concepts into smaller, comprehensible concepts for analysis; reviews and edits work of others; ensures appropriate level of communication and documentation.
- IT - Processes, Methods, and Tools: Demonstrates proficiency in the use of at least one system tool or utility and working knowledge of several other types of system tools or utilities; develops, administers, and/or supports systems and applications processes with limited assistance; measures the capabilities of individual system tools to satisfy development, support, and process needs.
- IT - Quality Management: Advises on the application of appropriate quality and/or environmental management techniques. Facilitates improvements to processes by changing approaches and working practices, typically using recognized models.
- Project Management: Demonstrates understanding of implementation objectives, project plan, and one's role within a project; participates in the implementation of a project; provides timely, thorough, and concise updates for area of responsibility; identifies areas of risk and properly communicates them to the project manager.
- Project Planning: Demonstrates an understanding of basic project planning processes, including planning action items and resources.
- Project Risk Management: Understands the general project management concepts of risk management based on type and phase of projects, programs or PMO support required.
- Solicits and Gathers Information: Demonstrates a working knowledge of techniques for soliciting and gathering information; identifies appropriate sources of information.
- Technology Knowledge: Recognizes the basic impact of technology on UPS business, services, and processes; identifies technological barriers in achieving desired objectives; maintains appropriate breadth and depth of technological knowledge for current work assignment.
- Experience with iterative software development and iterative management tools (e.g., TFS) – Preferred
- Experience with business intelligence tools (e.g., Power BI) – Preferred
- Experience with UX tools, (e.g., Balsamiq, Axure, etc.) – Preferred
- Certification by International Institute of Business Analysis (IIBA) or Professional in Business Analysis (PBA) certification offered by Project Management Institute (PMI) – Preferred
- Certification in user experience (e.g., Human Factors International) – Preferred
UPS is an equal opportunity employer. UPS does not discriminate on the basis of race/color/religion/sex/national origin/veteran/disability/age/sexual orientation/gender identity or any other characteristic protected by law
Related JobsView All of Our Available Opportunities
Jobs on the map
See where Future You will go.Learn More
Get Job Alerts
Take another step toward Future You.