Lead Applications Developer
- Mahwah, New Jersey
- Level: Varies based on position
Lead Applications Developer
We’re the obstacle overcomers, the problem get-arounders. From figuring it out to getting it done… our innovative culture demands “yes and how!” We are UPS. We are the United Problem Solvers.
About Applications Development at UPS Technology:
Our Application Development teams use their programming languages and software design expertise to develop next-generation technology. They are responsible for developing the applications which track and move up to 38 million packages in a single day (4.7 billion annually). In addition, this team works closely with our customers to build innovative technologies customized to drive our business and provide the ultimate customer experience. As a member of the applications development family, you will help UPS grow and provide valuable services across the globe.
About this role:
This position leads the design and implementation of continuous delivery solutions. It establishes operational excellence efforts for connected services to deliver an "always-on" operation year-round at the right cost. This position establishes automated deployment architecture and monitoring and integrates security measures within the DevOps practice. The incumbent evaluates the current development process to detect inefficiencies and proposes incremental changes to improve these processes, emphasizing automation in the development pipeline. Researching emerging technologies and guiding incident management are essential skills for this position, which entails designing changes to moderately complex systems to solve problems of scale. This position provides technical leadership and guidance to others and works cross-functionally to develop best practices for building and maintaining secure infrastructure, CI systems, and service-oriented tools. This position ensures the deliverables (e.g., the design, source code, and unit test cases) of supported teams comply with established operational standards for release management, system maintenance, and configuration automation and meet applications' needs and SLAs.
Knowledge of Sec/Dev/Ops tools/pipelines. Work with other SDGs to design, deploy and identify continuous security improvements within application development
- Enables and drives the use of automation products to support the validation, packaging, and delivery of development items to various target environments and ensures they are used appropriately in the continuous integration pipelines
- Leads the implementation of Application Performance Monitoring and Alerting to reduce downtime and achieve Service Level Objectives.
- Partnership experience with software delivery teams to build release pipelines and orchestrate dynamic and Agile environments with security and reliability.
- Knowledge of security tools (Sonarqube, OWASP ZAP, Burp Suite, Netsparker) and CI/CD pipelines.
- Ability to champion the use of security tools built into the CI/CD (pipeline) as appropriate to ensure security is addressed throughout the lifecycle of delivered software.
- Experience working with architecture teams to develop solution designs in the Public Cloud or on-prem Cloud environments.
- Knowledge in DevOps and related technologies, best practices, build strategy and automation tools, e.g., Infrastructure as Code, Data and Machine Learning, pipelines, container orchestration, microservices, Twelve-Factor App methodology, CI/CD, config management, unit testing, static analysis, automated integration tests.
- Familiar with modern or high-level programming languages, e.g.Node.js, Golang, Rust, Groovy, or Python.
- Knowledge working in a DevOps environment supporting Agile development teams or as a developer using DevOps tools and frameworks within a large-scale technology organization.
- Good leadership skills, with the ability to communicate a vision that inspires and motivates IT staff and aligns with the overall IT and business strategy.
- Google Cloud Certification is a must-have
- Strong written and verbal communications and ability to mentor team members and development team members on Cloud engineering and DevOps best practices and principles.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related discipline, or the equivalent in education and work experience
This position offers an exceptional opportunity to work for a Fortune 50 industry leader. If you are selected, you will join our dynamic technology team in making a difference to our business and customers. Do you think you have what it takes? Prove it! At UPS, ambition knows no time zone.
UPS is an equal opportunity employer. UPS does not discriminate on the basis of race/color/religion/sex/national origin/veteran/disability/age/sexual orientation/gender identity or any other characteristic protected by law
Benefits & Career Advantages
IT Professionals get a full slate of benefits and rewards.
A great career in IT is about more than just what you do at work. It's about your whole life - and where you live it. Explore these locations and find the perfect place to become you.
Parsippany, Mahwah and Wayne
UPS I.T. Overview
Join our team of experts in a variety of different specialties. We are more than you think- we are UPS I.T.