Applications Development Manager
- Louisville, Kentucky
- Level: Varies based on position
Applications Development Manager - Flex Location
We’re the obstacle overcomers, the problem get-arounders. From figuring it out to getting it done… our innovative culture demands “yes and how!” We are UPS. We are the United Problem Solvers.
About Applications Development at UPS Technology:
Our Application Development teams use their expertise in programming languages and software design to develop next-generation technology. They are responsible for developing the applications which track and move up to 38 million packages in a single day (4.7 billion annually). This team works closely with all our customers to build innovative technologies that are customized to drive our business and provide the ultimate customer experience. As a member of the applications development family, you will help UPS grow and provide valuable services across the globe.
About this role:
The Applications Development Manager (ADM) for Flight Systems will manage a highly functioning and cohesive team of developers, vendor support personnel, and project coordinators in support of the UPS Airline. The team entails mostly UPSers and a smaller number of flexible staff and co-ops. The right ADM for this position will be technical in nature, have an analytical mind, promote teamwork and engagement, and be competent in supporting modern technologies. He/She will understand or be familiar (need not be an expert) with the software development lifecycle and agile methodology, systems design, database and internet technologies, messaging technologies, object-oriented programming and frameworks, quality assurance, business analysis, budget management, and people management. Most importantly, we are looking for a leader! The new ADM will join a team that truly likes to have fun and we support one another.
- Willing to learn – reading job requirements can be daunting. Don’t be overwhelmed or think you’re not qualified. If you’ve come this far, maybe you’re willing to come a little further…
- Experience with incident management and problem resolution
- Has participated in applications development projects
- Is a Servant Leader
- Must be organized and detail-oriented
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Understands budgets
- Bachelor's degree and/or master’s degree in Computer Science or related discipline or equivalent in education and work experience.
Manages I.S. Projects
- Manages project life cycles (i.e., project scope, resources, schedule, budget, initiation, start-up, design, building, and deployment) to see projects from beginning to end.
- Forwards project documents to stakeholders to obtain sign-off, agreement on project costs, and needed resources.
- Creates, prepares, and maintains project plans to estimate resources, plan schedules, define goals, establish metrics, assess risks, and develop cost plans and to provide stakeholder reports.
- Ensures affected functions and groups are identified to negotiate changes and ownership of processes and to manage project impact.
- Provides status communications for senior management on issues, concerns, and risks to recommend solutions and to ensure products meet customers' needs.
- Monitors assigned resources formally (e.g., status meetings, etc.) and informally to continuously manage team productivity, project timelines, and deliverables.
- Balances multiple projects and deployment schedules to meet stakeholder goals and expectations.
- Determines decisions regarding tools, methods, and approaches to meet project goals.
- Manages the change control procedure to ensure project deliverables are formally reviewed, completed within planned cost and timeframe, and closed.
Manages System Analysis and Design
- Collaborates with domain and enterprise architects to participate in and drive designs internally and externally to comply with defined architecture governance processes.
- Delivers solution architecture to meet business needs and to align with enterprise architecture.
- Prepares, reviews, and delivers designs according to standards, methods, and tools to ensure consistency and compliance with enterprise and solution architectures.
- Reviews system designs and contributes to policy to select architecture components.
- Initiates and evaluates impact analyses of major design options to manage and balance project scope, cost, and risk.
- Aligns systems designs to balance functional and non-functional requirements.
- Participates in business requirements and then drives functional requirements to ensure cost-effective technical solutions meet stated business needs.
- Defines technical visualization of proposed applications to obtain customers’ approvals and implementation authorizations.
Manages Design and Development of Applications
- Evaluates programming tools and techniques usage to ensure team adherence to standards.
- Guides analysis, design, coding, and testing to meet project goals.
Manages Creation of Application Documentation
- Provides advice on documentation content to satisfy business and system requirements.
- Ensures documentation signoffs to meet requirements.
- Facilitates the production, maintenance, and distribution of documentation to meet project needs.
- Oversees documentation reviews to ensure documentation meets the needs of project stakeholders.
Guides System Integration
- Approves design and build of integration components, interfaces, and documentation to ensure system interoperability.
- Ensures definition and execution of end-to-end testing criteria to facilitate delivery of quality applications.
- Defines technical criteria to select products and components.
- Recommends alternatives to select tools methods and approaches.
Manages Applications' Maintenance and Support
- Leads problem resolution to identify, recommend, and implement process improvements.
- Leads process improvements (i.e., application enhancements, procedure changes, and staff cross-training) to reduce costs for supporting and maintaining applications.
- Communicates status of issues and incidents to keep senior management and stakeholders informed.
- Manages maintenance efforts to support vendor systems.
- Approves and provides input for support plans to manage maintenance and support efforts.
- Ensures applications are properly staffed to meet service level agreements and incident response and resolution expectations.
- Leads and ensures the creation and delivery of proper training to ensure project success.
Manages and Develops Others
- Manages resources and people processes (e.g., Quality Performance Review [QPR], Career Development, Training, Staffing, etc.) to ensure the day-to-day administration of processes and formal procedures.
- Identifies individual and team skill gaps and developmental opportunities (e.g., training, special assignments, conferences, projects, etc.) to facilitate individual and team development.
- Ensures that direct and indirect reports have documented career goals and detailed plans for achieving these goals to develop them personally and professionally.
- Conducts frequent performance evaluations in a consistent, fair, and objective manner to facilitate open communication and encourage continuous performance improvement.
- Holds others accountable to established performance levels to achieve individual and group goals.
- Resolves individual and group performance issues in accordance with UPS’s policies and procedures in a timely manner to motivate and foster teamwork.
- Coaches’ others and provides on-going feedback and support to improve performance.
- Identifies opportunities to involve others in new and challenging work assignments and/or rotations that advance the skills and capabilities of individuals and the organization.
- Makes salary recommendations to reward employee performance.
This position offers an exceptional opportunity to work for a Fortune 50 industry leader. If you are selected, you will join our dynamic technology team in making a difference to our business and customers. Do you think you have what it takes? Prove it! At UPS, ambition knows no time zone.
UPS is an equal opportunity employer. UPS does not discriminate on the basis of race/color/religion/sex/national origin/veteran/disability/age/sexual orientation/gender identity or any other characteristic protected by law
Benefits & Career Advantages
IT Professionals get a full slate of benefits and rewards.
A great career in IT is about more than just what you do at work. It's about your whole life - and where you live it. Explore these locations and find the perfect place to become you.
Parsippany and Mahwah
UPS I.T. Speaks With Bloomberg
Satyan Parameswaran, Vice President, UPS Information Technology (I.T.), Operations Technology (OPT), sat down with Lisa Abramowicz of Bloomberg TV to discuss intelligent automation and its effects on the UPS enterprise.Learn More
UPS I.T. Overview
Join our team of experts in a variety of different specialties. We are more than you think- we are UPS I.T.
Follow Us on Instagram
Follow us on Facebook@UPSjobs(Opens in new window)
Follow us on Twitter@UPSjobs(Opens in new window)
Follow us on LinkedIn@UPS(Opens in new window)