Business Development Officer
- Full Time
- Chicago, Illinois
- Travel: No
- Opportunities to grow
- Strength of the UPS name behind you
- Diverse team of experts
- Creating custom solutions for business
- Resources of a Fortune 100 organization
- Empowered to use your ingenuity
Future You Has What It Takes To Move The World
As a Sales professional, Future You is part of a global team that works on a scale you just can’t find anywhere else. Just consider this, we’ve delivered 3,240 packages since you started reading this section—think we know a thing or two about global opportunity?
- $65 billion in revenues in 2017
- 20 million deliveries every day to 10.5 million customers
- 454 thousand global employees
- 2.5 thousand+ operating facilities worldwide
Future You Is A Troublemaker
If you’re looking to stir things up, to think differently, to follow crazy ideas that just might work, Future You belongs here.
FUTURE YOU DELIVERS ON THE BIGGEST PROMISES OF ALL
Our connections to people around the world inspire us to keep doing more for the communities we serve. Learn about how our professionals volunteered to help deliver 180 tons of books to children in South Africa.
Future You gets more
Medical, Dental, Vision, & more
Career Growth & Mobility
The benefits and compensation information provided on this website are for informational purposes only. Not every product or service is available or applicable to every employee and the availability of a product or service is subject to change. UPS reserves the right to alter or delete the information provided as required by UPS’ business needs.
Business Development Officer
- Full Time
- Chicago, Illinois
- Facility: Edison Hub
- Job ID: 187362
- Zip Code: 60607
The Business Development (BD) Officer conducts BD activities in designated markets to achieve profitable growth and meet the revenue and income objectives of UPS Capital (UPSC). He/She expands BD opportunities by identifying customer needs, developing financial solutions for customers, obtaining customer commitment, and successfully implementing financial solutions. This position monitors and maintains account relationships to ensure integration of new business and continued customer satisfaction.
The Business Development Officer researches opportunities through lead database and data mining of UPS and other accounts to identify leads. He/She conducts sales visits to prospective customers to present UPSC value proposition as it relates to their company and needs. This position participates in continuing education and training to maintain skills and certifications. The BD Officer participates in information sharing within UPS and UPSC Sales groups to achieve results and improve sales strategies.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Builds partnerships with various sales resources (e.g., UPS, Supply Chain Solutions, UPS Freight, external customers, etc.) to improve network for providing sales leads
- Attends strategy sessions to find UPSC opportunities in UPS target accounts
- Calls on prospects (i.e., conference calls, phone calls, and in person visits) to qualify prospects for fit with UPSC solutions and to schedule appointments
- Researches potential customer information (e.g., financial status, products sold, markets, etc.) to ensure viable prospect and to support credit application
- Conducts cold calls to schedule meetings to sell UPSC services.
- Conducts sales visits to prospective customers to present UPSC value proposition as it relates to their company and needs
- Conducts due diligence (e.g., inventory audit, financial analysis, etc.) to verify the financial status of the company complies with UPSC business requirements (e.g., risk, profitability, etc.)
- Participates in management conference calls to review contract terms and obtain approvals for term sheet documentation
Knowledge and Skills
- Demonstrates familiarity with the core service offerings across business units and deep familiarity with product, service, and customer facing technology offerings of at least one business unit; demonstrates knowledge of competitors' offerings and the features of their products, services, and customer facing technology solutions; describes types of customers that would benefit from selected offerings; compares and contrasts UPS's and competitor's products, services, and customer facing technology solutions; able to compare and contrast the customer's experience of engaging with UPS and primary competitors across all touch-points; summarizes positive and negative gaps; develops plans to leverage advantages and correct disadvantages
- Identifies current and future needs of the customer or business; understands how business needs dictate the project’s requirements, project direction, business objectives, and resource allocation; makes recommendations on the solutions-design phase of the project
- Considers industry and financial trends when making account decisions; understands critical aspects of business models and operating structures to provide input into decisions
- Identifies team member’s strengths and development needs; coaches team members on planning for sales calls; recommends additional resources and training to support team member development
- Understands customer’s general business needs and knows the account status; may provide information about accounts for use in planning account strategy
- Establishes and maintains entry level contacts in customer organizations; builds relationships to further understand customers’ business and objectives
- 1-2 years' successful sales experience
- Fluent in English (both written and oral skills)
- Fluent in Spanish (oral skills) - Preferred
- Property and Casualty Insurance License - Preferred
- Bachelor’s Degree (or internationally comparable degree) in Marketing, Finance, or Accounting - Preferred
UPS is an equal opportunity employer. UPS does not discriminate on the basis of race/color/religion/sex/national origin/veteran/disability/age/sexual orientation/gender identity or any other characteristic protected by law
Jobs on the map
See where Future You will go.Learn More
Get Job Alerts
Take another step toward Future You.