Center Freight OPS Spec
The Center Freight Operations Specialist I coordinates Supply Chain Solutions (SCS) North American Freight Forwarding inbound and outbound freight shipments and deliveries, dispatches drivers for deliveries and pickups, and determines driver routes to meet deadlines and create efficiencies. He/She interacts with drivers to coordinate pickups at customer sites and SCS service centers, provides alerts of changing weather and traffic conditions, and relays changes to customer delivery and pickup information. This position facilitates movement of freight to coordinate inbound and outbound air freight shipments and to ensure compliance with federal and UPS rules and regulations. He/She utilizes the Freight Forwarding system to update freight shipment and customer pickup and delivery information and to track driver mileage and fuel usage. This position performs freight reweighs and ensures correct rate calculations to recover revenue.
The Center Freight Operations Specialist I reviews daily freight shipments to ensure on time deliveries and meet customer needs and expectations. He/She communicates with drivers to assign freight pickup requests and to ensure deadlines are met. This position processes inbound air cargo shipments to ensure compliance requirements (e.g., Customs clearance, fee payments, etc.) are met.
- Reviews driver locations, truck freight capacity, and required lead time to ensure freight loads and weight are distributed evenly among drivers.
- Reviews truck and aircraft arrivals to determine delays and excess capacity and to notify drivers and customers of delays.
- Maintains driver contact to assist with resolving issues (e.g., directions, shipment information, traffic and weather conditions, etc.).
- Contacts cartage carriers to arrange freight pickups when UPS drivers and equipment are not available.
- Coordinates audits and flight bookings for dangerous goods to ensure safe shipments on commercial carriers and UPS airlines.
- Provides hazardous goods rate quotes and shipment booking and updates the Freight Forwarding database to provide customer information, prepare shipment and carrier notifications, and maintain information for audits.
- Contacts equipment maintenance and repair vendors to coordinate maintenance and to ensure proper equipment functionality and driver safety.
- Prepares alternate pickup and delivery arrangements to resolve service interruptions and delays and to meet customer needs.
- Prepares pre-delivery notifications to inform customers of pickup and delivery delays and service interruptions.
- Generates and reviews shipment detail reports to make adjustments to incorrectly rated shipments.
- Detail Orientation: Captures/documents specific and accurate information; learns subjects thoroughly and in detail; completes work with thoroughness; supplies appropriate details when requested; maintains organized files - Preferred
- Freight Forwarding Operations Knowledge: Demonstrates a basic understanding of proper processes, procedures, and use of technology for intermodal transportation - Preferred
- Legal, Regulatory, and Compliance Knowledge: Demonstrates a basic understanding of the functions, regulations, and procedures of compliance agencies or governing bodies; takes a leadership position in programs that reduce risk and enhance safety - Preferred
UPS is an equal opportunity employer. UPS does not discriminate on the basis of race/color/religion/sex/national origin/veteran/disability/age/sexual orientation/gender identity or any other characteristic protected by law