Principal Data Scientist AI Ethics Hybrid Remote
- Atlanta, Georgia
- Job ID: 312873
- Zip Code: 30328
- Street Address: 340 MACARTHUR BLVD
CAPITAL LEAD Snapshot
- Diverse experiences as part of a global team
- Work with the latest technology
- Massive scale of projects
- Unlimited opportunities to grow
The Resources To Innovate
With our commitment to making a significant investment in technology initiatives each year, the scale of technology at UPS allows you to dream big and realize bigger.
Today, ORION can solve an individual route in seconds and is constantly running in the background evaluating routes before drivers can even leave the facility. This level of route evaluation conducted through the ORION program requires extensive hardware and architectural provisions. Running on a bank of servers in Mahwah, New Jersey, ORION is constantly evaluating the best way for a route to run based on real-time information. While most of America is sleeping, ORION is solving tens of thousands of route optimizations per minute.
UPS has launched a beta version of a chatbot, an artificial intelligence-enabled platform that mimics human conversation to help users easily find UPS’ locations, get shipping rates and track packages. Elements of artificial intelligence are becoming a bigger part of various UPS technologies. For example, our new virtual assistant on UPS.com uses natural language understanding to help customers track packages. The assistant becomes skilled at its tasks as more people ask it questions.
Our focus is on real-world applications that benefit our customers. Drones offer a great solution to deliver to hard-to-reach locations in urgent situations where other modes of transportation are not readily available. Innovation through automation and robotics has long been a focus for the world’s largest package delivery company. In fact, UPS has been testing drones in warehouses to check high storage racks to confirm stock or available space. We’re also exploring the use of drones to deliver humanitarian aid in hard-to-reach parts of the world.
UPS Access points
UPS Access Point locations are convenient places—such as The UPS Store®, neighborhood grocery stores, or other local businesses— that offer easy package drop-off and pickup. Our technology links Access Points into our network with information entered through UPS Mobile, My Choice and ORION software used by our drivers.
With over 8,100 UPS Access Point locations in the U.S., UPS now offers approximately 67 percent of consumers an alternative to home delivery within 3 miles of their residence. Our network of interconnected apps gives our customer maximum visibility and control over where and when they receive their packages.
UPS My Choice
UPS My Choice Members and Premium Members, receive delivery alerts for all eligible home deliveries. For those times when customers won't be home to greet their UPS driver, they can reschedule, redirect, or have their packages delivered The UPS Store® or to a UPS Access Point location.
Our technology allows for changes made on deliveries to be quick and convenient. Nearly 24 million U.S. consumers already use My Choice to plan their deliveries.
The UPS Mobile app allows users to track, ship, get a quote, or find a location. It is a one-stop app for any information a customer might need on their delivery. With a simple yet robust interface and My Choice integration, it serves as a convenient way to get the information they need, whenever or wherever they may need it. UPS Mobile is has been developed for both iOS and Android platforms.
EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO SUCCEED
From cloud technology to network planning tools, telematics to encryption, we’re empowering our IT team with the latest tools to serve customers and drive our organization forward.
THERE’S NO STOPPING YOU
No matter where you start at UPS, you’ll be encouraged to learn new skills and follow your interests. Find out more about how you can grow through in-house training, our online learning center, or education assistance for accredited degree programs.Learn More about UPS training
STUDENTS & GRADS
We offer summer internships to students in a wide variety of degree programs. Discover mentoring and learning opportunities that will put your career on the right track. And you can even extend your summer internship into a year-round co-op experience or a full-time role. Find out more about our opportunities for students and recent grads.Learn More about opportunities for Students and Graduates
Learn more about our locations to see where you can make tech breakthroughs.Learn More about UPS locations
GO ABOVE AND BEYOND
See how UPSers are doing more–including innovating in the skies to deliver lifesaving medicines.
Get More From Your Benefits
Medical, dental, vision, and more
Career growth & mobility
The benefits and compensation information provided on this website are for informational purposes only. Not every product or service is available or applicable to every employee and the availability of a product or service is subject to change. UPS reserves the right to alter or delete the information provided as required by UPS’ business needs.
Principal Data Scientist AI Ethics Hybrid Remote
- Atlanta, Georgia
Principal Data Scientist
We’re the obstacle overcomers, the problem get-arounders. From figuring it out to getting it done… our innovative culture demands “yes and how!” We are UPS. We are the United Problem Solvers.
About Information Management at UPS Technology:
The Principal Data Scientist – AI Ethics will focus on standing up the foundations for AI Ethics for UPS. This role will provide thought leadership and direction in the conception, creation, and delivery of machine learning (ML) and Artificial Intelligence (AI) systems. The candidate will also be responsible for offering sound advice on ethical AI practice, guarding the organization against bias, accidental consequences, and ensuring accountability. This position guides the organization to responsibly design, develop and implement ML and AI systems. The role will develop the framework that acts as a guide for data scientists and researchers on how to build AI systems in an ethical manner that benefits the society as a whole. This position supports senior leadership by planning and championing the execution of responsible AI across initiatives while delivering value to internal and external stakeholders.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Partners with world-class team of engineers and researchers on everything related to machine learning and artificial intelligence ethics, transparency, and accountability across the organization
- Leverages knowledge of business domains and a broad set of advanced analytical skills in the design and development of methodological standards, standardized processes, demos, and proof of concept(s) for the organization’s highest priority business needs
- Evaluates, tests, and implements new and emerging technologies with the potential to enhance risk identification and mitigation for UPS AI/ML systems
- Develops strategy and governing policies around the ethical and responsible use of AI/ML across the organization
- Supports senior leadership by planning and championing the execution of analytics initiatives aimed at delivering value to internal and external stakeholders with minimal risks
- Educates employees, as well as customers, on ethical considerations surrounding AI. He/She will develop cross-functional teams that function as sounding boards that focus on the implications of ML/AI deployments
- Offers sound advice on ethical ML/AI practice and guards the organization against bias, accidental consequences, and ensures accountability
- Manages ethical complexities as the company deals with large volumes of data. It is crucial to educate and upskill the entire organization about the implications of ML/AI apart from ensuring that adequate governance mechanisms are in place to address all the ethical concerns around ML/AI
- Ensures fairness and human rights stay at the center of ML/AI systems. He/She is also expected to contribute to product strategy
- Assess whether the leadership and resources allocated to AI are adequate and, if not, where any inadequacies exist, works with leadership to identify, and address its risks and impacts
- Determines where and how AI is used throughout the organization; evaluates whether the use of AI is appropriate in the circumstances and whether AI is yielding desired benefits, without increasing the organization’s risk exposure
- Collaborates with cross functional leadership, as well as the individuals with direct responsibility, for the ML/AI systems, to leverage knowledge of business domains, broad set of advanced analytical skills and governing policies during the design, development, and deployment of
- Evaluates the ethical and other risks associated with the company’s use of AI and setting; oversees the placement of appropriate “guardrails” regarding the use of AI
- Revisits policies, procedures and structure; determines whether “tweaks” or more substantial adjustments are needed periodically
- Considering the engagement of independent advisers and to assist the company and/or the board to define and maintain a robust approach to AI ethics and/or to supplement the board’s skill sets
- 10+ years of industry experience, with expertise in Data Science, Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence including Business Analytics, or Data Analysis
- 7-10 years of experience with working with large and disparate data that is feeding AI and ML systems
- Expert Knowledge on Data Modeling, Cloud Development Architecture & Design , Business Process Analysis and Data Governance
- Significant prior success as a Data, Product, or Decision Scientist working on challenging problems at scale
- Strong ability to understand and comprehend code developed in Python, Java, or Scala
- Full stack experience in data collection, aggregation, analysis, visualization, productionization, and monitoring
- Experience with transportation and logistics compliance programs and working in global cross-functional teams
- Have confidence to step into and lead through complex issues with diverse stakeholders, and the humility to recognize that the best approaches and ideas could come from anywhere.
- Preferred experience in AI Ethics, AI Governance, Responsible AI (5-7 years) - Required
- PhD in Mathematics, Operations Research, Analytics, Computer Science, or Statistics - Required
- Strong communication skills to interact with senior leadership and stakeholders; capable at simplifying complex concepts and technologies.
- Possess a data-driven approach to decision making and critical thinking
UPS is an equal opportunity employer. UPS does not discriminate on the basis of race/color/religion/sex/national origin/veteran/disability/age/sexual orientation/gender identity or any other characteristic protected by law