Associate Research Scientist - Technical Fellow
- Atlanta, Georgia
- Job ID: 308443
- Zip Code: 30328
- Street Address: 55 GLENLAKE PARKWAY
CAPITAL LEAD Snapshot
- Diverse experiences as part of a global team
- Work with the latest technology
- Massive scale of projects
- Unlimited opportunities to grow
The Resources To Innovate
With our commitment to making a significant investment in technology initiatives each year, the scale of technology at UPS allows you to dream big and realize bigger.
Today, ORION can solve an individual route in seconds and is constantly running in the background evaluating routes before drivers can even leave the facility. This level of route evaluation conducted through the ORION program requires extensive hardware and architectural provisions. Running on a bank of servers in Mahwah, New Jersey, ORION is constantly evaluating the best way for a route to run based on real-time information. While most of America is sleeping, ORION is solving tens of thousands of route optimizations per minute.
UPS has launched a beta version of a chatbot, an artificial intelligence-enabled platform that mimics human conversation to help users easily find UPS’ locations, get shipping rates and track packages. Elements of artificial intelligence are becoming a bigger part of various UPS technologies. For example, our new virtual assistant on UPS.com uses natural language understanding to help customers track packages. The assistant becomes skilled at its tasks as more people ask it questions.
Our focus is on real-world applications that benefit our customers. Drones offer a great solution to deliver to hard-to-reach locations in urgent situations where other modes of transportation are not readily available. Innovation through automation and robotics has long been a focus for the world’s largest package delivery company. In fact, UPS has been testing drones in warehouses to check high storage racks to confirm stock or available space. We’re also exploring the use of drones to deliver humanitarian aid in hard-to-reach parts of the world.
UPS Access points
UPS Access Point locations are convenient places—such as The UPS Store®, neighborhood grocery stores, or other local businesses— that offer easy package drop-off and pickup. Our technology links Access Points into our network with information entered through UPS Mobile, My Choice and ORION software used by our drivers.
With over 8,100 UPS Access Point locations in the U.S., UPS now offers approximately 67 percent of consumers an alternative to home delivery within 3 miles of their residence. Our network of interconnected apps gives our customer maximum visibility and control over where and when they receive their packages.
UPS My Choice
UPS My Choice Members and Premium Members, receive delivery alerts for all eligible home deliveries. For those times when customers won't be home to greet their UPS driver, they can reschedule, redirect, or have their packages delivered The UPS Store® or to a UPS Access Point location.
Our technology allows for changes made on deliveries to be quick and convenient. Nearly 24 million U.S. consumers already use My Choice to plan their deliveries.
The UPS Mobile app allows users to track, ship, get a quote, or find a location. It is a one-stop app for any information a customer might need on their delivery. With a simple yet robust interface and My Choice integration, it serves as a convenient way to get the information they need, whenever or wherever they may need it. UPS Mobile is has been developed for both iOS and Android platforms.
EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO SUCCEED
From cloud technology to network planning tools, telematics to encryption, we’re empowering our IT team with the latest tools to serve customers and drive our organization forward.
THERE’S NO STOPPING YOU
No matter where you start at UPS, you’ll be encouraged to learn new skills and follow your interests. Find out more about how you can grow through in-house training, our online learning center, or education assistance for accredited degree programs.Learn More about UPS training
STUDENTS & GRADS
We offer summer internships to students in a wide variety of degree programs. Discover mentoring and learning opportunities that will put your career on the right track. And you can even extend your summer internship into a year-round co-op experience or a full-time role. Find out more about our opportunities for students and recent grads.Learn More about opportunities for Students and Graduates
Learn more about our locations to see where you can make tech breakthroughs.Learn More about UPS locations
GO ABOVE AND BEYOND
See how UPSers are doing more–including innovating in the skies to deliver lifesaving medicines.
Get More From Your Benefits
Medical, dental, vision, and more
Career growth & mobility
The benefits and compensation information provided on this website are for informational purposes only. Not every product or service is available or applicable to every employee and the availability of a product or service is subject to change. UPS reserves the right to alter or delete the information provided as required by UPS’ business needs.
Associate Research Scientist - Technical Fellow
- Atlanta, Georgia
UPS Robotics Technical Fellow – Associate Robotics Scientist
The Robotics AI Lab (RAIL) at the UPS Advanced Technology Group (ATG) conducts cutting-edge research and development to build a novel robotics solution, which creates a next generation delivery network. UPS ATG is searching for a associate research scientist, who has a research/engineering background with advanced degrees. Project areas include last mile robotics, machine vision system development/deployment, and machine learning applications. We are looking for individuals who enjoy solving challenging problems and are passionate about robotics research.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Prototyping ML/AI algorithms for robotics-related problems
- Develop/deploy/validate novel approaches to solve open-ended problems
- Collaborate with other teams to create a new idea, design a new system, and develop/test its performance
- Interact and communicate effectively across business units and to different levels of management
- Guide junior associate scientists in support of project work
Knowledge and Skills
- At least 2+ years of industrial experiences or relevant research experiences in computer vision and machine learning.
- Strong programming skills in Python or C++
- Familiar with fundamental robotics principles: path-planning, computer vision, deep learning, and optimization
- Experience in developing/deploying computer vision system on edge devices (NVIDIA Jetson TX2, Jetson AGX, and others)
- Experience in cloud-based development and integration (Google Cloud, Azure, and others)
- Ability to implement research ideas on physical robotics platforms
- Comfortable with Linux OS
- Excellent communication skills in presentation (both verbal and slides)
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or National of the U.S., an alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence, or an alien authorized to work in the U.S. for this employer
- Employer will not sponsor a visa for this or future positions
- Must be currently located in the same geographic location as the job or willing to relocate yourself
- Ph.D. or M.S. in Robotics, Computer Science, Computer Science Engineering, or similar majors
- Ph.D. student can apply this position.
UPS is an equal opportunity employer. UPS does not discriminate on the basis of race/color/religion/sex/national origin/veteran/disability/age/sexual orientation/gender identity or any other characteristic protected by law