Lead Applications Developer
- Full Time
- Alpharetta, Georgia
- Travel: No
- Facility: Morris Road Location
- Job ID: 194234
- Zip Code: 30005
- Diverse experiences as part of a global team
- Work with the latest technology
- Massive scale of projects
- Unlimited opportunities to grow
Future you has the resources to innovate
With our commitment to making a significant investment in technology initiatives each year, the scale of technology at UPS allows Future You to dream big and realize bigger.
Today, ORION can solve an individual route in seconds and is constantly running in the background evaluating routes before drivers can even leave the facility. This level of route evaluation conducted through the ORION program requires extensive hardware and architectural provisions. Running on a bank of servers in Mahwah, New Jersey, ORION is constantly evaluating the best way for a route to run based on real-time information. While most of America is sleeping, ORION is solving tens of thousands of route optimizations per minute.
UPS has launched a beta version of a chatbot, an artificial intelligence-enabled platform that mimics human conversation to help users easily find UPS’ locations, get shipping rates and track packages. Elements of artificial intelligence are becoming a bigger part of various UPS technologies. For example, our new virtual assistant on UPS.com uses natural language understanding to help customers track packages. The assistant becomes skilled at its tasks as more people ask it questions.
Our focus is on real-world applications that benefit our customers. Drones offer a great solution to deliver to hard-to-reach locations in urgent situations where other modes of transportation are not readily available. Innovation through automation and robotics has long been a focus for the world’s largest package delivery company. In fact, UPS has been testing drones in warehouses to check high storage racks to confirm stock or available space. We’re also exploring the use of drones to deliver humanitarian aid in hard-to-reach parts of the world.
UPS Access points
UPS Access Point locations are convenient places—such as The UPS Store®, neighborhood grocery stores, or other local businesses— that offer easy package drop-off and pickup. Our technology links Access Points into our network with information entered through UPS Mobile, My Choice and ORION software used by our drivers.
With over 8,100 UPS Access Point locations in the U.S., UPS now offers approximately 67 percent of consumers an alternative to home delivery within 3 miles of their residence. Our network of interconnected apps gives our customer maximum visibility and control over where and when they receive their packages.
UPS My Choice
UPS My Choice Members and Premium Members, receive delivery alerts for all eligible home deliveries. For those times when customers won't be home to greet their UPS driver, they can reschedule, redirect, or have their packages delivered The UPS Store® or to a UPS Access Point location.
Our technology allows for changes made on deliveries to be quick and convenient. Nearly 24 million U.S. consumers already use My Choice to plan their deliveries.
The UPS Mobile app allows users to track, ship, get a quote, or find a location. It is a one-stop app for any information a customer might need on their delivery. With a simple yet robust interface and My Choice integration, it serves as a convenient way to get the information they need, whenever or wherever they may need it. UPS Mobile is has been developed for both iOS and Android platforms.
FUTURE YOU HAS EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO SUCCEED
From cloud technology to network planning tools, telematics to encryption, we’re empowering our IT team with the latest tools to serve customers and drive our organization forward.
THERE’S NO STOPPING FUTURE YOU
No matter where you start at UPS, you’ll be encouraged to learn new skills and follow your interests. Find out more about how Future You can grow through in-house training, our online learning center, or education assistance for accredited degree programs.Learn More about UPS training
STUDENTS & GRADS
We offer summer internships to students in a wide variety of degree programs. Discover mentoring and learning opportunities that will put your career on the right track. And Future You can even extend your summer internship into a year-round co-op experience or a full-time role. Find out more about our opportunities for students and recent grads.Learn More about opportunities for Students and Graduates
Learn more about our locations to see where Future You can make tech breakthroughs.Learn More about UPS locations
Future You gets more
Medical, dental, vision, and more
Career growth & mobility
The benefits and compensation information provided on this website are for informational purposes only. Not every product or service is available or applicable to every employee and the availability of a product or service is subject to change. UPS reserves the right to alter or delete the information provided as required by UPS’ business needs.
Lead Applications Developer
- Full Time
- Alpharetta, Georgia
Lead Applications Developer
We’re the obstacle overcomers, the problem get-arounders. From figuring it out to getting it done… our innovative culture demands “yes and how!” We are UPS. We are the United Problem Solvers.
About Applications Development at UPS Technology:
Our Application Development teams use their expertise in programming languages and software design to develop next-generation technology. They are responsible for developing the applications which track and move up to 38 million packages in a single day (4.7 billion annually). This team works closely with all of our customers to build innovative technologies that are customized to drive our business and provide the ultimate customer experience. As a member of the applications development family, you will help UPS grow and provide valuable services across the globe.
About this role:
The Lead Applications Developer provides leadership in full systems life cycle management (e.g., analyses, technical requirements, design, coding, testing, implementation of systems and applications software, etc.) to ensure delivery is on time and within budget. He/She directs component and data architecture design, technology planning, and testing for Applications Development (AD) initiatives to meet business requirements and ensure compliance. This position develops and leads AD project activities and integrations. He/She guides teams to ensure effective communication and achievement of objectives. This position researches and supports the integration of emerging technologies. He/She provides knowledge and support for applications’ development, integration, and maintenance. This position will lead junior team members with project related activities and tasks. This position guides and influences department and project teams. He/She facilitates collaboration with stakeholders.
The Lead Applications Developer, with proven experience developing JEE applications, will be a key contributor to a development team using Agile methodologies as appropriate. He/She must be a quick learner that can apply new technologies or learn existing ones as required.
Leads I.S. Projects:
- Delegates work assignments to complete the deliverables for small projects or components of larger projects to meet project plan requirements
- Monitors team member activities to ensure tasks are completed within established deadlines and to rectify issues and roadblocks
- Identifies and assesses issues to communicate potential risks and impacts
- Analyzes project requirements and customers’ expectations to identify and implement required tasks
- Prepares and conducts project progress and quality reviews to provide project updates
- Monitors costs, timelines, and resources to address plan deviations
- Provides technological guidance to project teams to ensure the quality of project deliverables
- Assists junior staff to facilitate skills development
- Leads solution definition and configuration for new website implementations.
Leads System Analysis and Design:
- Translates business and functional requirements into technical design to meet stated business needs
- Develops and designs internal component and adjacent system interfaces to ensure inter-operability
- Participates in technical architecture definitions to align solutions with business needs
- Writes specifications using business requirements and logical and physical designs to enable coding
- Identifies and participates in prototyping to assess value-to-need strategy and to clarify business needs.
Leads Design and Development of Applications:
- Identifies new areas for process improvements to enhance performance results
- Delivers application solutions to meet business and non-functional requirements
- Analyzes, designs, codes, tests, corrects, and documents large and complex programs to ensure optimal performance and compliance
- Leads team on analysis, design, and coding activities to ensure successful component and project delivery
- Leads review of project deliverables to ensure quality and standard process adherence
- Provides technical guidance to development teams to ensure quality deliverables
- Verifies and delivers software to ensure compliance with standards.
Develops and Ensures Creation of Application Documentation:
- Determines documentation needs to deliver applications
- Organizes the production and distribution of documentation to facilitate communications
- Responsible for system documentation to ensure accuracy and consistency when changes are made
- Leads technical documentation in compliance with UPS Software Development Lifecycle to communicate and update project teams and stakeholders.
Defines and Produces Integration Builds:
- Leads build processes for target environments to create software
- Verifies integration test specifications to ensure proper testing
- Creates integration plans to support systems interface testing
- Evaluates and implements vendor products to ensure successful integration with existing applications
- Designs and builds integration components and interfaces to ensure inter-operability
- Reviews work progress to ensure timeliness and integrity of builds.
Monitors Emerging Technology Trends:
- Monitors the industry to gain knowledge and understanding of emerging technologies
- Identifies new and emerging hardware and software technologies and products to maintain industry competitiveness
- Maintains awareness of emerging technology to ensure applicability for the assigned application area
- Influences and promotes the adoption of new technologies to improve capabilities and supportability
Leads Maintenance and Support:
- Drives problem resolution to identify, recommend, and implement process improvements
- Leads junior team members' support activities to provide implementation and process improvements
- Monitors and records application defects to ensure systems integrity
- Coordinates efforts across interfacing systems and service providers to resolve system issues
- Drives business continuity and disaster recovery design and planning activities to establish agreed upon requirements
- Designs, creates, develops, customizes, and maintains training content and resources to deliver agreed upon outcomes
- Delivers training to a variety of audiences to increase knowledge sharing
Leads Other Team Members:
- Provides input to people processes (e.g., Quality Performance Review [QPR], Career Development, Training, Staffing, etc.) to provide detailed performance level information to managers
- Contributes to performance evaluations, including performance improvement plans, to encourage continuous performance improvement
- Holds team members responsible for meeting established performance levels to achieve individual and group goals
- Coaches others and provides on-going feedback and support to improve performance
- 8+ years of overall development experience
- 5+ years of development experience with JEE servlets, JSP, Web App Servers (Tomcat/JBOSS/WebLogic)
- 5+ years of experience with Content Management System and Marketing Technologies
- Must have experience developing on Linux and Windows platforms
- Experience with Marketing Technologies
- Object Oriented Analysis & Design
- Experience with XML
- Proven troubleshooting skills
- J2EE/Java Technologies - Advanced
- Web Development Technologies - Advanced
- UNIX Fundamentals - Advanced
- Agile Development methodology - Advanced
- Project Management - Advanced
- Agile and Scrum Concepts - Advanced
- Requirements Analysis - Advanced
- Bachelor's degree and/or Master's degree in Computer Science or equivalent.
This position offers an exceptional opportunity to work for a Fortune 50 industry leader. If you are selected, you will join our dynamic technology team in making a difference to our business and customers. Do you think you have what it takes? Prove it! At UPS, ambition knows no time zone.
UPS is an equal opportunity employer. UPS does not discriminate on the basis of race/color/religion/sex/national origin/veteran/disability/age/sexual orientation/gender identity or any other characteristic protected by law
Related JobsView All of Our Available Opportunities
Jobs on the map
See where Future You will go.Learn More
Get Job Alerts
Take another step toward Future You.